Bitumen Testing has found a home with GTSSI
GTSSI has specialized Bitumen Testing Equipment for the asphalt industry. We vet all the equipment that we sell and can walk you through your options to find the best solution.
Automatic Closed-system Asphalt Analyzer
The PAVELAB50® gives the exact measurement of bitumen quantities in hot-mix samples. The bitumen sample can be used in other tests (penetration, softening point, etc.), and the aggregates (including filler) are separated and can be used for sample grading.
The asphalt sample is placed in a washing drum lined with a special mesh designed to separate bitumen and filler from the sample. Solvent and ultrasonic motion is added to ensure complete separation.
The mixture of filler/bitumen/solvent is then centrifuged to separate out the filler. The aggregates and filler are dried by forced air circulation and the residue of solvent is recovered.
The remaining bitumen/solvent solution is distilled and separated into two different tanks. Part of the solution can be drained off before distillation and connected to a flask for use with a rotary evaporator to recover a bitumen sample for other tests. The clean distilled solvent is recycled for other extractions.
*The unit should be connected to a water cooling unit to feed the three different cooling coils of the apparatus.
Fully automatic test cycle:
- Washing of the asphalt sample (up to 3.5 kg) with solvent and ultrasonic motion, with simultaneous heating and rotation of the drum lined with screening mesh.
- High speed extraction centrifuge for separation of filler from binder solution.
- Condensation of solvent vapour in a stainless steel tank including cooling coil, confirming to latest anti-pollution requirements.
- Automatic recovery of solvent by a continuous distillation process.
- Easy binder recovery for future tests such as penetration, softening point, etc.
- Fast connection for rotary evaporatory flask available as option.
- Extraction time reduced to approx. 55 minutes (including drying).
- No toxic fumes in the laboratory conforming to latest anti-pollution requirements.
- 7″ Touch Screen swinging panel.
- Version incorporating a balance for an accurate measurement of asphalt sample (10kg±0.1g) also available.
- High extraction capacity: up to 300g of filler for each extraction.
- Automatic sample drying after extraction.
- Silent operation.
- Maximum Sample Size: 3.5kg
- Centrifuge rotation speed: 6000 rpm
- External cup nominal dimensions: 120 x 200mm (diameter x height)
- Maximum filler capacity: approx. 10 liters (recycled)
- Power rating: 6 kW (excluding water cooling system)
- Overall dimensions: approx. 1400 x 750 x 1500 mm (w x d x h)
- Weight: approx. 240 kg (530 lbs)
Rolling thin film ovens (RTFOT)
These ovens are used for measuring the effect of heat and air on a moving film of semi-solid bituminous materials. The internal chamber is made from stainless steel, insulated with fiberglass or similar, with an external frame made from engine-turned stainless steel and a door with a centrally located window.
Special attention has been given to the safety features which conform to CE requirements.
The Rolling thin film ovens (RTFOT) can be used as part of your Superpave performance-based testing program.
- Touch-screen display with 4.5” color control panel, including timer function, visual warnings, and digital air flow regulator
- Full conformity to temperature specifications (time to reach target temperature after switch on, target temperature adjustment after samples insertion) from the Standards
- Carousel rotation with closed-loop controlled speed
- Safety features: Automatic over-temperature switch, door switch, pilot lamp and alarm for door open with fan still running; magnetothermic switch
- High-quality stainless steel structure, internal and external
- Door with double-glazed window
- Door locking system allowing easy opening also with busy hands
The oven is supplied complete with flow meter, ASTM 13C thermometer and 8 heat resistant glass containers (64 m high x 140 mm diameter).
The oven must be connected to a compressed air source supplying 2 bar minimum presure. If not available in the laboratory we recommend to order Diphgram pump (see accessories).
- 81-PV1612 conforming to ASTM/AASHTO standards
- 81-PV1622 conforming to EN standard